Sen. Celina Villanueva told the Eyewitness News that a new state program that provides free health care for immigrants starting the age of 42 years old and above can be a game changer in their district. But, Gov. Pritzker said that this kind of program is costing the state too much money.
The health care program will save lives, particularly in the immigrant-heavy districts in Illinois said Villanueva. Pritzker scaled back the healthcare program.
READ ALSO: Greater Houston To Use New Area Code
RESULTS OF PRITZKER’S ACTIONS
The health care program had been removed to low-income immigrants that lacked legal status and whose age ranges from 42 to 64 starting July 1. Pritzker explained the decision he made last Monday.
Gov. JB Pritzker was receiving accusations that his administration failed to protect the immigrants that do not have legal status across Illinois.
Immigrants affected expressed their dissatisfaction by conducting a protest rally in Daley Plaza in Chicago last week. The protesters slammed the governor for abolishing the health care program for low-income immigrants that lacked legal status.
Those who joined the protest rally are urging the governor to change his mind. Villanueva and other Latino lawmakers and advocates were not giving up on pushing Gov. Pritzker into expanding the health care program.